in the times ahead we are facing some incredible shifts and challenges. the new paradigm is upon us and we are being cleansed of our old programming and healed on many different levels, both personally and collectively. if we choose to be conscious of this process, the road will definitely be more graceful and we can make these shifts with gratitude and joy. so when the going gets tough, one of the biggest keys is to remember to BE joyful, and TAKE ACTION so that you can welcome more joy into your heart and into your life!
here are 10 practical and simple actions you can take to bring more joy into your life. the more joyful moments you have on a daily basis, the more your life will start to align with the JOYFUL you and the JOYFUL world we are co-creating together!
1. smile – smiling is a magickal alchemical tool! even if you’re faking it at first, the brain and the body don’t know the difference. the neurochemical affect of putting a smile on your face will release endorphins and serotonin that can change your mood, enhance your immune system, relieve stress, lower blood pressure, relieve pain, and even make you look younger and more attractive!
2. do something you love to do! – sounds easy, but we often spend so much time doing things we MUST do, instead
of things we love to do. so, simply ask yourself, “what brings me joy?”, then just go and do that thing! even for just a few minutes. do you love cooking? gardening? playing video games? hiking? sitting in the sun? reading a book? just do it!
3. watch something funny - pop in a DVD of your favorite comedy or uplifting movie! if you don’t have time to watch a whole film, there are thousands of videos of the most random and laugh-out-loud bits of stuff on youtube.
4. hang out or connect with a happy & uplifting friend! – think of the most positive person you have in your circle and give them a call! instead of dumping your troubles on them, ask them what is good in their life. happiness is contagious! focus on the positive things they have to say and be thankful to have this friend in your life. if you don’t have many friends who are positive and uplifting, time to make some new friends!
5. be grateful! – make a list of the things you are grateful for. start with the simple things. write them down. once you start focusing on the positive things, your energy will start to shift immediately. try it, it works! if you do this everyday, the cumulative effect will bring more joy into your life, guaranteed!
6. eat something delicious, give yourself a treat! – instead of reaching for your good-ol’ comfort food, try something that will raise your energy and be really yummy at the same time! try some raw chocolate or a juicy piece of fresh organic fruit that is perfectly ripe and in season! enjoy it with all your senses and give thanks!
7. give yourself a gift that will improve your life – of course, money can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a personal growth book, a crystal, a healing tool, get an empowerment session, reiki session, pedicure/manicure, massage etc. when you give yourself gifts such as these, you increase your self-love and self-care factor, thereby increasing your capacity for joy.
8. try something new! – is there something you’ve always wanted to do but have been too afraid, too busy etc.? it can be something extremely simple like chanting “om mani padme hum“, trying a new food you’ve never tasted, going to an event or gathering you’ve never experienced before. or even a new practice or routine like starting up a meditation practice, trying a new form of movement like tai chi, yoga, martial arts, dance. make a list of things you’ve always wanted to do and just do it! doing just one thing that you’ve never done before can open up new possibilities, encourage you to grow and change, and give you a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. you can even enlist a friend to try that something new with you!
9. give a hug, get a hug! – hugs are a proven form of touch therapy! they feel good, improve mood, build self-esteem, ease tension, and so much more! give as many hugs as possible: hug your partner, your friends, your family, even give hugs when meeting some one for the first time! this breaks down the walls between us and the other, affirming our unity and physicality, and spreading joy to our surroundings. if no one is around, give yourself a hug, spend some cuddle time with your cat, or even hug a stuffed teddy!
10. be a kid again! – go to a playground, swing on the swings, ride the merry-go-round. get out some markers and crayons and draw a silly picture. go to the beach and make a sandcastle. go outside and have a snowball fight or make snow angels. if you have children, spend some time playing with them, on their level. if you don’t have children, make arrangements to spend some time with a friend or family member who does have children. play with them, talk to them, let go!
much love, light, and JOY!